Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Quilting with Mrs. Black

In third grade art, we have been closely studying pattern. Quilting is something that connects with many different parts of third grade art including: pattern, storytelling, and Faith Ringgold. It also connects to the social studies curriculum in the future when third grade begins a pioneer unit.  I felt very lucky when I found out that Mrs. Black is a quilter. I knew very little about quilting, and, frankly, the idea of making a quilt intimidates me. Mrs. Black kindly offered her expertise to my art room by presenting some quilting basics, along with some quilting history. She drew from things that the students already know and things that the students will learn in the near future. Mrs. Black brought in some of her own quilts to share with the students, giving them an interactive learning experience. I think this valuable opportunity will provide the students with a more distinct understanding of Faith Ringgold’s story quilts when I introduce her in the near future. 




No comments:

Post a Comment