Thursday, July 28, 2011

First post!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. Since this is my first post I thought I should explain why I am here. Most importantly, I wanted an outlet to share ideas and connect with friends, families, students, and teachers. I am beginning my second year as an art teacher next month and I thought a blog would be a great way to build connections with others. Oh, and by jumping on the "blogging" bandwagon, it will help me to keep up with the times!

This summer, I haven't had the opportunity to see as much art as I would have liked too (but, the summer is not over yet!). However, I did get to see a really neat exhibit while on the east coast. At the MFA in Boston, Dale Chihuly was showing his "Through the Looking Glass Exhibit." I have never seen his work in person before, and I was very excited. I also read that Chihuly went to RISD, and started the glass program there. I always like when I share a school with someone cool! Needless to say, I was quite captivated by this exhibit. The installations were called "environments." One of my favorite "environments" was in a room with absolutely nothing on the floor. The installation, titled "Persian Ceiling," was all overhead. It reminded me of walking around an aquarium that has an overhead fish tank. The colorful and organic glass pieces were layered together above a clear sheet of glass. It was beautiful!

I have included a picture from "Persian Ceiling" that I got off of the MFA website (http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/chihuly). The photo was taken by Teresa Nouri Rishel. If you visit the website - take a look at the time-lapse video called "Installing the Lime Green Icicle Tower."

No comments:

Post a Comment